Lesson 8: Spring Hiatus and Butterfly Lies

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Lesson 8: Spring Hiatus and Butterfly Lies

Post by Admin on Wed Oct 18, 2017 11:25 am

In this lesson, Nate uses the examples of butterflies as distractions...he says, " a distraction does come, gone almost before we know it....there's a butterfly."

Please answer the following questions:

1.  What is your definition of a distraction?
2.  What are examples of distractions?
3.  To what degree do we experience distractions in our lives before we are actually aware of them?
4.  How do Christians perceive distractions and how does God ask us to handle them?

Admin
Admin

View user profile http://challenge3.forumotion.com

Back to top Go down

@realdonaldtrump's thoughts

Post by @realdonaldtrump on Wed Oct 18, 2017 11:43 am

Admin wrote:In this lesson, Nate uses the examples of butterflies as distractions...he says, " a distraction does come, gone almost before we know it....there's a butterfly."

3.  To what degree do we experience distractions in our lives before we are actually aware of them?
4.  How do Christians perceive distractions and how does God ask us to handle them?
1. Definitely not a butterfly. A distraction is something that breaks our focus from a given task.

2. One time, in quarters for debate, the power in the room completely went out twice while my partner was talking, which was fun. Would probably term that more of a disruption than a distraction, but they're basically synonyms. Other debate distractions I've faced are cellphones, loud whispering from the other team, loud whispering from my partner, and even weird facial expressions from judges. In tennis, there are also tons of super distracting things. These include anything from a good point on another court, to loud frustrated wailing, to obnoxious grunting, and even cheating.

3. I think by definition you have to be aware of a distraction. You can choose to ignore it, but the whole point of a distraction is to break your concentration, which requires you to notice something.

4. Specifically in regard to Christians, I think the main way we perceive distractions is through the Holy Spirit. By reading God's Word and simply listening, many distractions become easily apparent. As far as how to handle them, I think that goes to what we've been talking about through James 1, namely that it depends on the circumstance. In James, sometimes God tells us to react to distractions (trials) with joy. Sometimes, if it is temptation to sin, He tells us to flee. Finally, in the case of facing Satan's distractions, God tells us to resist (that's in chapter 3, we haven't gotten there yet). Those are probably the three biggest ways to combat distractions.

"Despite the constant negative press, covfefe"
@realdonaldtrump

View user profile

Back to top Go down

egrabrick's answers

Post by egrabrick on Wed Oct 18, 2017 11:54 am

Admin wrote:In this lesson, Nate uses the examples of butterflies as distractions...he says, " a distraction does come, gone almost before we know it....there's a butterfly."

I would define a distraction as anything that interferes with what I'm trying to do (or supposed to be doing) at the time. In my opinion there are two kinds of distractions. The first type would be spiritual distractions, meaning anything that gets in the way of following God. Since we're always supposed to follow God, anything that interferes with following God would always be a distraction. The second type of distraction is the earthly distraction, such as receiving an email while working on responding to the discussion board question. Receiving an email isn't always a distraction; if you're in the middle of checking your email it wouldn't be a distraction, but spiritual distractions are always distractions every time they happen. Hopefully that makes sense. Very Happy

Admin wrote:

One example happened this morning. I was working on typing my response to the question when I received the weekly email from Mrs. Martin. Another example would be how idols can distract us from God. Even though I don't think any of us worship stone gods, we could focus more on money, school, etc than God, who should be first in our life.

Admin wrote:
3.  To what degree to we experience distractions in our lives before we are actual aware of them?

I think it depends on the individual. Some people are really good at seeing distractions before they happen, while others rarely notice distractions on their own.

Admin wrote:

Distractions come from Satan, and we should do our best to maintain our focus on God. We are to pray and ask God for help dealing with our distractions, and he will help us.

egrabrick

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Lesson 8: Spring Hiatus and Butterfly Lies

Post by @realdonaldtrump on Wed Oct 18, 2017 12:15 pm

egrabrick wrote:

I would define a distraction as anything that interferes with what I'm trying to do (or supposed to be doing) at the time. In my opinion there are two kinds of distractions. The first type would be spiritual distractions, meaning anything that gets in the way of following God. Since we're always supposed to follow God, anything that interferes with following God would always be a distraction. The second type of distraction is the earthly distraction, such as receiving an email while working on responding to the discussion board question. Receiving an email isn't always a distraction; if you're in the middle of checking your email it wouldn't be a distraction, but spiritual distractions are always distractions every time they happen. Hopefully that makes sense. Very Happy

Admin wrote:

One example happened this morning. I was working on typing my response to the question when I received the weekly email from Mrs. Martin. Another example would be how idols can distract us from God. Even though I don't think any of us worship stone gods, we could focus more on money, school, etc than God, who should be first in our life.

Admin wrote:
3.  To what degree to we experience distractions in our lives before we are actual aware of them?

I think it depends on the individual. Some people are really good at seeing distractions before they happen, while others rarely notice distractions on their own.

Admin wrote:

Distractions come from Satan, and we should do our best to maintain our focus on God. We are to pray and ask God for help dealing with our distractions, and he will help us.
Hey Elijah! Great response. I agree with you in pretty much everything here.

My only question would be: Do distractions always come from Satan? Even more specifically, can they ever come from God?

"Despite the constant negative press, covfefe"
@realdonaldtrump

View user profile

Back to top Go down

egrabrick's response to @realdonaldtrump

Post by egrabrick on Wed Oct 18, 2017 12:27 pm

@realdonaldtrump wrote:
egrabrick wrote:

Admin wrote:

Admin wrote:

Admin wrote:

Hey Elijah! Great response. I agree with you in pretty much everything here.

My only question would be: Do distractions always come from Satan? Even more specifically, can they ever come from God?

I guess there could be some good distractions that would come from God. If you're in the middle of something sinful, God could distract you with his word. That's a good point.

egrabrick

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Evan_T on Thu Oct 19, 2017 11:13 am

1. Distraction: a thing that prevents someone from giving full attention to something else.
2. Examples of a distraction: phones, social media, video games, etc.
3. It depends. I believe that we are always aware of distractions to some degree subconsciously, but it takes effort to bring them to a conscious level, which is why they can be ignored for so long.
4. Christians should perceive distractions as anything that prevents us from giving our full attention to God, and one of the best ways to handle one (as always) is to pray.

Evan_T

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Evan_T on Thu Oct 19, 2017 11:14 am

egrabrick wrote:

Admin wrote:

Admin wrote:

Admin wrote:

But aren't all earthly distractions ultimately spiritual?

Evan_T

View user profile

Back to top Go down

egrabrick's response to Evan_T

Post by egrabrick on Thu Oct 19, 2017 3:12 pm

Evan_T wrote:
egrabrick wrote:

Admin wrote:

Admin wrote:

Admin wrote:

But aren't all earthly distractions ultimately spiritual?

I would disagree with that statement. Just as there are some decisions that aren't spiritual (such as deciding what color shirt to wear), I would say there are some distractions that aren't spiritual (such as the squirrel outside while you're deciding what to wear). I'd agree that many decisions and distractions are indeed spiritual, but not all of them.

egrabrick

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by LivsTanski on Wed Nov 01, 2017 11:48 pm

1. I define a distraction as "An object, idea, person or activity that diverts one's attention, time, motivation or desire from completing any given type of goal"
2. Examples personally, Social media is a huge distraction. Friends, my dogs, random thoughts, doubts and assorted activities are all things that I view as distractions. On another note, relationships are large distractions that I tend to not realize are distracting me until I lag behind my goal.
3. It is very subjective, as to what degree we allow distractions to affect us before we realize their presence. Some people will never realize how much time they spend on social media, or how a specific loved one is distracting from long-term goals or even their relationship with Christ (if we are speaking in terms of a believer.)
4. Christians I hypothesize have an upper hand when it comes to discovering distractions. Since we have the presence of the Holy Ghost within us, we are more apt to realize where we are wasting time because often our wastes of time do not line up with God;s desire for us, which the Holy Spirit is prompt to show an eager believer. Now I realize that there are several oblivious Christians, but I argue that he who is in tune with the voice of God is quick to listen and quick to dispell such distractions.
LivsTanski

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by LivsTanski on Wed Nov 01, 2017 11:50 pm

@realdonaldtrump wrote:

1. Definitely not a butterfly. A distraction is something that breaks our focus from a given task.

2. One time, in quarters for debate, the power in the room completely went out twice while my partner was talking, which was fun. Would probably term that more of a disruption than a distraction, but they're basically synonyms. Other debate distractions I've faced are cellphones, loud whispering from the other team, loud whispering from my partner, and even weird facial expressions from judges. In tennis, there are also tons of super distracting things. These include anything from a good point on another court, to loud frustrated wailing, to obnoxious grunting, and even cheating.

3. I think by definition you have to be aware of a distraction. You can choose to ignore it, but the whole point of a distraction is to break your concentration, which requires you to notice something.

4. Specifically in regard to Christians, I think the main way we perceive distractions is through the Holy Spirit. By reading God's Word and simply listening, many distractions become easily apparent. As far as how to handle them, I think that goes to what we've been talking about through James 1, namely that it depends on the circumstance. In James, sometimes God tells us to react to distractions (trials) with joy. Sometimes, if it is temptation to sin, He tells us to flee. Finally, in the case of facing Satan's distractions, God tells us to resist (that's in chapter 3, we haven't gotten there yet). Those are probably the three biggest ways to combat distractions.

I love writing my post and then coming and reading your's Eli because we almost always agree. I love it lol!
LivsTanski

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top