Lesson 10: The Problems of Kittens: Cuteness and Beauty

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Lesson 10: The Problems of Kittens: Cuteness and Beauty

Post by Admin on Mon Oct 02, 2017 7:25 am

Read the excerpt from the DVD below and respond to this question:

What does Nate mean when he says we need to "embrace the fullness of God's personality. Love the kittens. Serve the storm"

“Realism is not puffy-faced angels and realism is not grit standing alone. One school, made
up of aunts and grandmothers and people pleasant and soft to hug, focuses on angel pillows
and paintings that are all pastel and gold bits. The other school, the school desperate for a
faith and a story with an edge, focuses on anything that belongs in a bathroom stall. Novels
should go from gray to black to a glimmer of gray. Incest, abuse, rubber-banded forearms,
black eyeliner, and abandonment—these things are real. Happiness isn’t real. Joy isn’t real,
especially not joy in hardship. Resentment is real. A life of bitterness is real.” (pp. 156-157)
• “The Problem Part One: Cute things exist, and they are objectively cute. The movie isn’t
over. I’m sorry to tell you this, but the world will end happily. Sorrow goes down in a barrage
of bullets, and Grief is executed after a fair trial…When Hitler has been forgotten and
Stain is the name of a new brand of bubblegum, butterfly kisses will live on.
The Problem Part Two: The world is rated R, and no one is checking IDs. Do not try to
make it G by imagining the shadows away. Do not try to hide your children from the world
forever, but do not pretend there is no danger. Train them. Give them sharp eyes and bellies
full of laughter. Make them dangerous. Make them yeast, and when they’ve grown, they will
pollute the shadows.” (p. 157)

Admin
Admin

View user profile http://challenge3.forumotion.com

Back to top Go down

Re: Lesson 10: The Problems of Kittens: Cuteness and Beauty

Post by Evan_T on Mon Oct 02, 2017 1:47 pm

Admin wrote:Read the excerpt from the DVD below and respond to this question:

What does Nate mean when he says we need to "embrace the fullness of God's personality. Love the kittens. Serve the storm"

“Realism is not puffy-faced angels and realism is not grit standing alone. One school, made
up of aunts and grandmothers and people pleasant and soft to hug, focuses on angel pillows
and paintings that are all pastel and gold bits. The other school, the school desperate for a
faith and a story with an edge, focuses on anything that belongs in a bathroom stall. Novels
should go from gray to black to a glimmer of gray. Incest, abuse, rubber-banded forearms,
black eyeliner, and abandonment—these things are real. Happiness isn’t real. Joy isn’t real,
especially not joy in hardship. Resentment is real. A life of bitterness is real.” (pp. 156-157)
• “The Problem Part One: Cute things exist, and they are objectively cute. The movie isn’t
over. I’m sorry to tell you this, but the world will end happily. Sorrow goes down in a barrage
of bullets, and Grief is executed after a fair trial…When Hitler has been forgotten and
The Problem Part Two: The world is rated R, and no one is checking IDs. Do not try to
make it G by imagining the shadows away. Do not try to hide your children from the world
forever, but do not pretend there is no danger. Train them. Give them sharp eyes and bellies
full of laughter. Make them dangerous. Make them yeast, and when they’ve grown, they will

Nate means that the world is neither a place of fairy tale endings or a world of all pain. Reality is mixed: we are suffering, but we have hope. We are happy, but only for a while.

Evan_T

View user profile

Back to top Go down

@realdonaldtrump's musings

Post by @realdonaldtrump on Tue Oct 03, 2017 12:03 pm

I'm pretty sure he means we should all play Exploding Kittens (https://www.explodingkittens.com). It seems like the perfect balance. Rolling Eyes

In all seriousness, I think this statement is pretty self explanatory. We need to embrace the fullness of God's personality by not ignoring parts we don't like (wrath or justice for some) in favor of parts we do (His love and grace mostly). As far as the other portions, they seem to just be half baked rhetorical devices (yeast polluting shadows? what does that even mean??) that he's so fond of. Serving the storm sounds a little pantheistic to me, Mr. Nate Very Happy . Most likely, these are just being used to show God's personality through Creation, and how we need to embrace all of it, both His direct attributes and through His Creation.

"Despite the constant negative press, covfefe"
@realdonaldtrump

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Evan_T on Tue Oct 03, 2017 7:34 pm

@realdonaldtrump wrote:

I'm pretty sure he means we should all play Exploding Kittens (https://www.explodingkittens.com). It seems like the perfect balance. Rolling Eyes

In all seriousness, I think this statement is pretty self explanatory. We need to embrace the fullness of God's personality by not ignoring parts we don't like (wrath or justice for some) in favor of parts we do (His love and grace mostly). As far as the other portions, they seem to just be half baked rhetorical devices (yeast polluting shadows? what does that even mean??) that he's so fond of. Serving the storm sounds a little pantheistic to me, Mr. Nate Very Happy . Most likely, these are just being used to show God's personality through Creation, and how we need to embrace all of it, both His direct attributes and through His Creation.

Pretty sure that yeast thing is an obscure reference to "shadows of darkness" destroying the "bread of life".

Evan_T

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by @realdonaldtrump on Wed Oct 04, 2017 10:09 am

Evan_T wrote:
@realdonaldtrump wrote:

Pretty sure that yeast thing is an obscure reference to "shadows of darkness" destroying the "bread of life".
Still, it's kinda silly. Yeast is a metaphor in the Bible for sin. And yeast is not a pollutant at all.

I may just be nitpicking, but as a debater it's tough for me when someone uses random rhetorical devices without making them relate to a point. Just because it sounds good doesn't actually make it useful.

"Despite the constant negative press, covfefe"
@realdonaldtrump

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by LivsTanski on Wed Oct 04, 2017 1:51 pm

I agree with Eli. Nate's "statement" is self-explanatory after you get past the overuse of literary devices that completely muddle the waters he was attempting to clarify. Life is a mixed bag, which should be treated appropriately. Unfortunately, the acceptance of extremes run rampant in our society.
LivsTanski

View user profile

Back to top Go down

My response ta da quhessn

Post by Redneck_philosopher on Thu Oct 05, 2017 8:00 am

So I think that even though his use of examples or metaphors is very sloppy and confusing, if you think really hard, you are able to get some kind of meaning out of this. What I think he means is that we live in a fallen world. There are still good things, but there are also fallen things. If we choose to only see one, then we aren't going to get anywhere in this world, or with God. I also think its about acknowledging that our battle that we go through everyday to be in this world but not of it. Excepting the warlike side of God that we have as well. And not turning from the tender side of mercy. Except them both in ourselves as well, because we are made in God's image, therefore we have those attributes. I hope that made more sense than his paragraph.... Very Happy

View user profile

Back to top Go down

egrabrick's response

Post by egrabrick on Thu Oct 05, 2017 9:54 am

I think he is trying to say that God created both cute kittens and fierce hurricanes, and we can't just accept the cute, nor can we just accept the storms. We have to accept all of it. Sometimes I feel like he tries to find the most complicated way to say stuff. Very Happy

Just to be clear, even kittens aren't always cute. We recently adopted a kitten that was rescued from a tree after Irma. He's only about 6 weeks old, but he will chase me around the room trying to pounce on me and bite.

egrabrick

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top