Lesson 4: Talking Rocks - Notes from a Tilt-A-Whirl

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Lesson 4: Talking Rocks - Notes from a Tilt-A-Whirl

Post by Admin on Tue Sep 05, 2017 9:50 am

"In the end, living makes dying worth it"

What do you think Nate means? Do you agree or disagree? Why?

Admin
Admin

Posts : 8
Join date : 2017-08-09

View user profile http://challenge3.forumotion.com

Back to top Go down

egrabrick's response

Post by egrabrick on Tue Sep 05, 2017 11:18 am

Admin wrote:"In the end, living makes dying worth it"

What do you think Nate means? Do you agree or disagree? Why?

I'm pretty sure that by living he means our eternal life in heaven, and by dying he simply means our earthly death. I would agree with the statement. It is definitely worth dying and leaving this sinful world to live eternally in heaven, where there is no sin or evil. Honestly, I think it is better to live a short life on earth to be spared from spending more time in this sinful world. However, God keeps many people alive longer so they can have a bigger impact for him.

egrabrick

Posts : 15
Join date : 2017-08-15
Age : 16

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Rednecks response ta the quesshun

Post by Redneck_philosopher on Wed Sep 06, 2017 9:38 am

Admin wrote:"In the end, living makes dying worth it"

What do you think Nate means? Do you agree or disagree? Why?

After thinking about this statement, and looking at the context, I agree. For the simple reason of that our purpose on this earth, in this life is not to wait around until it ends. We are supposed to know our God, serve him, and make him known to others. So when we finally do go home, he have a place waiting there for us. But really I thought this was pretty straight forward. Yes if we don't make our time here count, if we are not in God's will, then death is truly the end of life. But we have to live in our victory, in order to achieve it.

_________________
Mighty darn good thoughts ay done had there
avatar
Redneck_philosopher

Posts : 8
Join date : 2017-08-14
Location : 'mercia

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Lesson 4: Talking Rocks - Notes from a Tilt-A-Whirl

Post by @realdonaldtrump on Thu Sep 07, 2017 11:10 am

Admin wrote:"In the end, living makes dying worth it"

What do you think Nate means? Do you agree or disagree? Why?
Well, I'm going to try really hard to disagree with this, just because I feel like it.

Step 1: Completely reinterpret the statement

So, this whole video, he's talking about how great our physical world is, here on earth. Thus, I'm going to say that "living" = our life here on earth. Dying = our physical death.

Worth it means that something that is bad is worth enduring for something that is good.

Step 2: Tie Economics in with Philosophy

Let's talk about value theory! Something is valuable when it is scare. Global currencies are literally pieces of cloth and metal, but because they are considered "scarce" and something that needs to be gained (i.e. not plentiful enough) we value them highly. $100 bills are valued more than $1 bills because they are more scarce.

How does this relate to the statement? Well, I believe what he is saying is that our death, while bad, gives more meaning to our lives by making them temporary. He's saying that the opportunity to enjoy our life for only a limited time makes it more valuable, because we won't take it for granted.

Step 3: Disagree

I disagree in two ways. First, our life after death (if we are saved) is even more awesome as our life on this earth. Second, I don't necessarily think dying is a bad thing per se. While it did come as a result of sin, it is also the gateway to spending the rest of our life with God. He tells us not to fear death, but to instead welcome it as a necessary part of the eternal life we are now enjoying.

Step 4: Mission Accomplished


_________________
-45th President of the United States

"Despite the constant negative press, covfefe"
avatar
@realdonaldtrump

Posts : 14
Join date : 2017-08-15
Age : 71
Location : 1600 Pennsylvania Avenue

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Lesson 4: Talking Rocks - Notes from a Tilt-A-Whirl

Post by LivsTanski on Thu Sep 07, 2017 6:03 pm

[quote="Admin"]"In the end, living makes dying worth it"

I agree with this statement despite the fact that I very strongly dislike Nate. I agree because in life we have a purpose, which is to bring glory to God and spread the gospel. We have to run the race set before us. To die before we have accomplished all we physical could for God would be to die in vain, not worth it. Providing we live our lives for Christ and run the race set before us, dying becomes a goal made worthy by the life you lived.
avatar
LivsTanski

Posts : 17
Join date : 2017-08-15

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Lesson 4: Talking Rocks - Notes from a Tilt-A-Whirl

Post by Evan_T on Thu Sep 21, 2017 6:16 pm

Admin wrote:"In the end, living makes dying worth it"

What do you think Nate means? Do you agree or disagree? Why?

I think that Nate means (ignoring the possible context for this quote) that the opportunity to be alive justifies our eventual death. I agree, under the condition that death means that we go to heaven. If not, then no amount of "living" on this earth is going to justify not going to heaven (going to hell). I wouldn't even call being on earth "living". We are in a corrupted world; the best of us are coping, and the worst are suffering.

Evan_T

Posts : 19
Join date : 2017-08-16

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Lesson 4: Talking Rocks - Notes from a Tilt-A-Whirl

Post by Evan_T on Thu Sep 21, 2017 6:23 pm

@realdonaldtrump wrote:
Admin wrote:"In the end, living makes dying worth it"

What do you think Nate means? Do you agree or disagree? Why?
Well, I'm going to try really hard to disagree with this, just because I feel like it.

Step 1: Completely reinterpret the statement

So, this whole video, he's talking about how great our physical world is, here on earth. Thus, I'm going to say that "living" = our life here on earth. Dying = our physical death.

Worth it means that something that is bad is worth enduring for something that is good.

Step 2: Tie Economics in with Philosophy

Let's talk about value theory! Something is valuable when it is scare. Global currencies are literally pieces of cloth and metal, but because they are considered "scarce" and something that needs to be gained (i.e. not plentiful enough) we value them highly. $100 bills are valued more than $1 bills because they are more scarce.

How does this relate to the statement? Well, I believe what he is saying is that our death, while bad, gives more meaning to our lives by making them temporary. He's saying that the opportunity to enjoy our life for only a limited time makes it more valuable, because we won't take it for granted.

Step 3: Disagree

I disagree in two ways. First, our life after death (if we are saved) is even more awesome as our life on this earth. Second, I don't necessarily think dying is a bad thing per se. While it did come as a result of sin, it is also the gateway to spending the rest of our life with God. He tells us not to fear death, but to instead welcome it as a necessary part of the eternal life we are now enjoying.

Step 4: Mission Accomplished


What about the fact that there are billions of human lives? Applying value theory to that means that each life is only a little bit valuable, which means that our death is practically meaningless, because humans are easily replaceable. A human dies: so what! Go get another one!

Evan_T

Posts : 19
Join date : 2017-08-16

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Lesson 4: Talking Rocks - Notes from a Tilt-A-Whirl

Post by Evan_T on Thu Sep 21, 2017 6:24 pm

P.S. Before anyone freaks out, I don't actually believe that. I'm just giving an interesting twist to Eli's argument.

Evan_T

Posts : 19
Join date : 2017-08-16

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Lesson 4: Talking Rocks - Notes from a Tilt-A-Whirl

Post by Sponsored content


Sponsored content


Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top

- Similar topics

 
Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum