Lesson 3: Breathing Characters; Notes from a Tilt-a-Whirl

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Lesson 3: Breathing Characters; Notes from a Tilt-a-Whirl

Post by Admin on Tue Aug 29, 2017 4:15 pm

In this lesson, Nate asks us what kind of character we are in the story God is telling. Please choose a character listed below from the book, Charlie and the Chocolate Factory. First, share with us how the character is described in the book. Second, how you would describe them if they lived in the world today and were part of the story God is telling.

Willie Wonka
Charlie Bucket
Grandpa Joe
Augustus Gloop
Violet Beauregarde
Veruca Salt
Mike Teavee
Oompa-Loompas

Admin
Admin

View user profile http://challenge3.forumotion.com

Back to top Go down

Re: Lesson 3: Breathing Characters; Notes from a Tilt-a-Whirl

Post by LivsTanski on Wed Aug 30, 2017 8:48 am

Admin wrote:In this lesson, Nate asks us what kind of character we are in the story God is telling.  Please choose a character listed below from the book, Charlie and the Chocolate Factory.  First, share with us how the character is described in the book.  Second, how you would describe them if they lived in the world today and were part of the story God is telling.

Willie Wonka
Charlie Bucket
Grandpa Joe
Augustus Gloop
Violet Beauregarde
Veruca Salt
Mike Teavee
Oompa-Loompas

I HAVE NEVER READ THIS BOOK!!!! WHAT DO I DO!!!!
LivsTanski

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Mrs. Martin's response to Olivia

Post by Mrs. Martin on Wed Aug 30, 2017 9:09 am

LivsTanski wrote:
Admin wrote:In this lesson, Nate asks us what kind of character we are in the story God is telling.  Please choose a character listed below from the book, Charlie and the Chocolate Factory.  First, share with us how the character is described in the book.  Second, how you would describe them if they lived in the world today and were part of the story God is telling.

Willie Wonka
Charlie Bucket
Grandpa Joe
Augustus Gloop
Violet Beauregarde
Veruca Salt
Mike Teavee
Oompa-Loompas

Here, try this:

http://bfy.tw/DeRM

Mrs. Martin

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by LivsTanski on Wed Aug 30, 2017 9:11 am

Mrs. Martin wrote:
LivsTanski wrote:

Willie Wonka
Charlie Bucket
Grandpa Joe
Augustus Gloop
Violet Beauregarde
Veruca Salt
Mike Teavee
Oompa-Loompas

Here, try this:

http://bfy.tw/DeRM

WOAHHHHHHHHHH Mrs Martin you just roasted me Shocked Im shocked..... I'll read the cliff notes... Surprised
LivsTanski

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by LivsTanski on Wed Aug 30, 2017 9:22 am

Willie Wonka
Charlie Bucket
Grandpa Joe
Augustus Gloop
Violet Beauregarde
Veruca Salt
Mike Teavee
Oompa-Loompas

I chose Violet Beauregarde who is described as a goal obsessed girl who will stop at nothing to achieve her desired result, which eventually gets her in trouble. In the book, Violet sets out to beat the world record for gum chewing. While at the factory, She begins chewing an experimental piece of gum which Mr. Wonka told her not to eat which resulted in her transformation into a giant blueberry.

I see Violet being the career obsessed woman who wears stilettos and flawless winged eyeliner and stops at nothing to excel in her career. This eventually leads to a lack of friendship, a purposeless existence, and a miserable person. She could play the part of the "Girl to learn from" In Gods story. Women like Violet show girls like me how not to be, and prove the fact that possessions and status can not make you happy. Regardless of how much gum you chew, without God life is void of meaning.
LivsTanski

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by @realdonaldtrump on Wed Aug 30, 2017 10:43 am

Willie Wonka
Charlie Bucket
Grandpa Joe
Augustus Gloop
Violet Beauregarde
Veruca Salt
Mike Teavee
Oompa-Loompas
Let's talk about Oompa-Loompas

In this amazingly awesome great book I've obviously definitely read Rolling Eyes , the Oompa-Loompas are workers in Willie Wonka's factory. They are also undocumented workers, fleeing from those who would eat them (obviously meaning cartels). They for some reason sing whenever a child murder is committed. Oompa-Loompas are short, orange, have weird hair, and are payed in cocoa beans.

In real life, I believe Oompa-Loompas are a metaphor for those at a lower station, who simply follow along wherever. They don't think deeply except for having fun, and are content to perform basic tasks and be accomplices in Willie Wonka's murder factory. I think of an analogy in a book I'm going through. If we want to be successful, we have to look to expand our "territory." We do that by showing God we can take care of what we have now, and asking for his guidance in going after more. The Oompa-Loompas strike me as apathetic, with not a lot of ambition. They are those in God's story who are not striving for anything.

p.s. some people would say that I, Donald J. Trump, am in fact an Oompa-Loompa. This is not true. For one, they are orange. I am not orange. Also, they have weird hair. I most certainly do not have weird hair. Finally, they have terrible vocabulary. As many people know, I know words, and I have the best words.

p.p.s.

Last edited by @realdonaldtrump on Wed Aug 30, 2017 12:18 pm; edited 1 time in total

"Despite the constant negative press, covfefe"
@realdonaldtrump

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Evan_T on Wed Aug 30, 2017 11:13 am

Willie Wonka
Charlie Bucket
Grandpa Joe
Augustus Gloop
Violet Beauregarde
Veruca Salt
Mike Teavee
Oompa-Loompas

Willie Wonka is a quirky, oddly charismatic character who is a surprising giant of success and chocolate (He's not a giant made of chocolate - he's a giant of the chocolate industry). Wonka made the most amazing candies until his envious competitors stole some of his recipes and he closed the gates to his chocolate factory.
If Willie Wonka lived today, he would be Johnny Depp (fitting since Depp played him in the newest movie). Wonka is full of the weird but hilarious humor that Depp is so well known for, and they are both very successful. As far as being part of the story God is telling, I don't know about Wonka. He's 'wonkers' after all.

Evan_T

View user profile

Back to top Go down

My response ta da quhessn

Post by Redneck_philosopher on Wed Aug 30, 2017 11:56 am

Willie Wonka
Charlie Bucket
Grandpa Joe
Augustus Gloop
Violet Beauregarde
Veruca Salt
Mike Teavee
Oompa-Loompas

WARNING. THE FOLLOWING MESSAGE MAY BE OFFENSIVE TO SOME READERS. IF YOU DON'T WANT YOUR CHILDHOOD RUINED, PLEASE PROCEED WITH CAUTION.

WARNING! ONLY CLICK IF YOU WISH TO KNOW THE TRUTH!:
Okay, now that the disclaimer has been taken care of, lets get into first what I want to talk about. Willy Wonka. Yes that seems like a obvious choice, but when you look at the symbolism and evil depths of this seemingly harmless character, you will never see him the same way again..........

First, how is he described in the book? Well, he is eccentric, you can never tell if he is lying or telling the truth, mysterious, and seems to be some sort of a sociopath. But what does he represent in real life? The answer, I promise,  will shock you. Willy Wonka and his chocolate factory is representative of none other than... The devil. Okay, for some of you I just lost you there, but hear me out. Because when you consider the evidence, it makes perfect sense. If you have ever read Dante's Inferno or at least heard of it you know that is is about a man named Dante who is taken through the different levels of hell. Each one is meant to punish the inhabitant in specific ways according to their sin. As Dante travels deeper into hell, he sees this take place. He finally gets to the bottom, where the devil resides. He is a hideous evil beats frozen in ice. He then to get out climbs on the back of the devil in order to get out. So now the question is... how does this relate? Well, lets look at Willy Wonkas character first. He is very deceitful, you cant never tell what he means and what he doesnt. He does not speak plainly which causes confusion. Just like the enemy of our souls. He then leads the different bratty kids into rooms that exploit their weaknesses. Augustus Gloop gets lead into a room that exploits his gluttony, and he disappears. The same with Verruca Salt. And the others. They all fall prey to Wonka's traps as they go deeper and deeper into his factory. Next their is the tunnel scene. When they are on the boat on the chocolate river going into Wonka's factory he very accurately describes in a very scary way what the decent into hell is like in Dante's inferno. And finally, when all of the bratty kids have fallen prey to devil Wonka, Charlie is the only one left. Charlie (being Dante's equivalent) reaches the end of the journey. Wonka telling him he won the grand reward, climbs into a glass elevator (remember the ice) and flies into the sky.

So in conclusion I believe that Willy Wonka is the Devil and that's what he would be in real life Very Happy  Let me know if you have any questions Very Happy

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Evan_T on Wed Aug 30, 2017 1:23 pm

Redneck_philosopher wrote:

Willie Wonka
Charlie Bucket
Grandpa Joe
Augustus Gloop
Violet Beauregarde
Veruca Salt
Mike Teavee
Oompa-Loompas

WARNING. THE FOLLOWING MESSAGE MAY BE OFFENSIVE TO SOME READERS. IF YOU DON'T WANT YOUR CHILDHOOD RUINED, PLEASE PROCEED WITH CAUTION.

Okay, now that the disclaimer has been taken care of, lets get into first what I want to talk about. Willy Wonka. Yes that seems like a obvious choice, but when you look at the symbolism and evil depths of this seemingly harmless character, you will never see him the same way again..........

First, how is he described in the book? Well, he is eccentric, you can never tell if he is lying or telling the truth, mysterious, and seems to be some sort of a sociopath. But what does he represent in real life? The answer, I promise,  will shock you. Willy Wonka and his chocolate factory is representative of none other than... The devil. Okay, for some of you I just lost you there, but hear me out. Because when you consider the evidence, it makes perfect sense. If you have ever read Dante's Inferno or at least heard of it you know that is is about a man named Dante who is taken through the different levels of hell. Each one is meant to punish the inhabitant in specific ways according to their sin. As Dante travels deeper into hell, he sees this take place. He finally gets to the bottom, where the devil resides. He is a hideous evil beats frozen in ice. He then to get out climbs on the back of the devil in order to get out. So now the question is... how does this relate? Well, lets look at Willy Wonkas character first. He is very deceitful, you cant never tell what he means and what he doesnt. He does not speak plainly which causes confusion. Just like the enemy of our souls. He then leads the different bratty kids into rooms that exploit their weaknesses. Augustus Gloop gets lead into a room that exploits his gluttony, and he disappears. The same with Verruca Salt. And the others. They all fall prey to Wonka's traps as they go deeper and deeper into his factory. Next their is the tunnel scene. When they are on the boat on the chocolate river going into Wonka's factory he very accurately describes in a very scary way what the decent into hell is like in Dante's inferno. And finally, when all of the bratty kids have fallen prey to devil Wonka, Charlie is the only one left. Charlie (being Dante's equivalent) reaches the end of the journey. Wonka telling him he won the grand reward, climbs into a glass elevator (remember the ice) and flies into the sky.

So in conclusion I believe that Willy Wonka is the Devil and that's what he would be in real life Very Happy  Let me know if you have any questions Very Happy

I think you are extrapolating Willy Wonka out a little too far. There are no Voodoo Dahls or demons between the lines in Willie Wonka and the Chocolate Factory. Dante's Inferno is from a man who lived in an unjust time, and was personally affected by this injustice. He traveled with others not to test them, but rather because Dante already considered them to be good (or validated), and also as a literary device. Willie Wonka is simply about those characteristics which the author thinks will lead to trouble, all grossly exaggerated in the characters (with the exception of Charlie). The author also points out the effects of bad parenting though the presence of the parents in the factory tour.

Evan_T

View user profile

Back to top Go down

My Response to Evan

Post by Redneck_philosopher on Wed Aug 30, 2017 1:51 pm

Evan_T wrote:I think you are extrapolating Willy Wonka out a little too far. There are no Voodoo Dahls or demons between the lines in Willie Wonka and the Chocolate Factory. Dante's Inferno is from a man who lived in an unjust time, and was personally affected by this injustice. He traveled with others not to test them, but rather because Dante already considered them to be good (or validated), and also as a literary device. Willie Wonka is simply about those characteristics which the author thinks will lead to trouble, all grossly exaggerated in the characters (with the exception of Charlie). The author also points out the effects of bad parenting though the presence of the parents in the factory tour.

Hey Evan! I think you may have misunderstood me a little bit. Although I did say Willy Wonka is the Devil, I was just making a joke based on my post Very Happy But The real point of the post to to show a similarity in symbolism and themes. They are not the exact same story (obviously) and the Willy Wonka in the book is not portrayed as the Devil. And I get the story and the reasons for the tests and what not. But like I said, it is to show the symbolism that the two books seem to share. It does not mean it was written with that parallelism in mind. It probably wasnt Very Happy  I hope that makes sense! Let me know if you have any more questions! Very Happy

View user profile

Back to top Go down

egrabrick's response

Post by egrabrick on Wed Aug 30, 2017 3:47 pm

Willie Wonka
Charlie Bucket
Grandpa Joe
Augustus Gloop
Violet Beauregarde
Veruca Salt
Mike Teavee
Oompa-Loompas

In the book, Charlie Bucket never complains, even though his family is very poor. He is very cold in the winter, but he doesn't complain. I think Charlie is a great example of how we're instructed to live in James 1:2. "Count it all joy, my brothers, when you meet trials of various kinds." Charlie remains joyful even when he doesn't have much food, clothing, or anything else. However, I would not say he is a perfect Christian. I would say he is trying to do it on his own, without God. He represents someone following a works-based religion, where that religion's god passively stays out of the way.

egrabrick

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Isabelleagarcia47 on Wed Aug 30, 2017 3:55 pm

Willie Wonka
Charlie Bucket
Grandpa Joe
Augustus Gloop
Violet Beauregarde
Veruca Salt
Mike Teavee
Oompa-Loompas

So I chose Veruca Salt, why? Well watching the movie as a little girl I always found her quite annoying, but thought, "You know, I could see myself acting like that if my parents spoiled me." This is a true statement please hold back the judgement I was little. Very Happy Anyhoo! "The lucky person was a small girl called Veruca Salt who lived with her rich parents in a great city far away." - Charlie and the Chocolate Factory. As we all know to find a golden ticket in one of the Wonka bars was based purely on luck. There really was no method to the madness of the golden ticket adventure. Bo Derek said it best "Whoever said money can't buy happiness simply didn't know where to go shopping."Veruca's parents aimed to please their daughter. They spared no expense for her happiness. So when Veruca proposed to her parents that she wanted the golden ticket, they went right to work in providing for her. Her fathers nut shelling company stopped shelling nuts and started shelling Wonka bars until they found what they were looking for. While at the factory the Oompa-Loompas refer to her Veruca Salt as "the little brute" which greatly depicts her character. Jodat law group "Its my money and I want it now!" She wanted what she wanted, when she wanted it. She is also referred to as "a bad nut" or "bad egg" and tossed down the trash shoot. To quickly sum up her character I would say she was a greedy "brute" who lived in a state of instant gratification.
In today's society we see these characteristics in many wealthy people who live in the world. More so with the children then adults. You don't have to have money however to want what you want. Have you ever seen a toddler throw a tantrum over not getting what he wants? Heck, have you ever had an attitude because something didn't go the way you wanted? Ill be the first to say that I have indeed felt this way before. I will even go as far to say it happened yesterday. Laughing We see this happen all around us. On reality Tv shows we see (of course it is dramatized) adults absolutely flip out over not getting what they want. These constant reminders of how relevant greed is in the world brings me to the word of God. Luke 12:15 "Then he said to them, "Watch out! Be on your guard against all kinds of greed; life does not consist in an abundance of possessions."
The next question I have to answer here is "where are they in the story that God is telling?" Well we could say 1.That these tyoes if people are great example of what not to do. Of how not to act. Or we could say 2. That greed may be there personal sin struggle and that through that they come to know God. Sorry for the novel however, hope you enjoyed the read, even if it made no sense at all. Smile
Isabelleagarcia47

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Evan_T on Thu Aug 31, 2017 10:24 am

Evan_T wrote:I think you are extrapolating Willy Wonka out a little too far. There are no Voodoo Dahls or demons between the lines in Willie Wonka and the Chocolate Factory. Dante's Inferno is from a man who lived in an unjust time, and was personally affected by this injustice. He traveled with others not to test them, but rather because Dante already considered them to be good (or validated), and also as a literary device. Willie Wonka is simply about those characteristics which the author thinks will lead to trouble, all grossly exaggerated in the characters (with the exception of Charlie). The author also points out the effects of bad parenting though the presence of the parents in the factory tour.

Hey Evan! I think you may have misunderstood me a little bit. Although I did say Willy Wonka is the Devil, I was just making a joke based on my post Very Happy But The real point of the post to to show a similarity in symbolism and themes. They are not the exact same story (obviously) and the Willy Wonka in the book is not portrayed as the Devil. And I get the story and the reasons for the tests and what not. But like I said, it is to show the symbolism that the two books seem to share. It does not mean it was written with that parallelism in mind. It probably wasnt Very Happy  I hope that makes sense! Let me know if you have any more questions! Very Happy

Twisted Evil

Evan_T

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Ditto to Isabelleagarcia47

Post by @realdonaldtrump on Thu Aug 31, 2017 11:59 am

Isabelleagarcia47 wrote:

Willie Wonka
Charlie Bucket
Grandpa Joe
Augustus Gloop
Violet Beauregarde
Veruca Salt
Mike Teavee
Oompa-Loompas

So I chose Veruca Salt, why? Well watching the movie as a little girl I always found her quite annoying, but thought, "You know, I could see myself acting like that if my parents spoiled me." This is a true statement please hold back the judgement I was little. Very Happy Anyhoo! "The lucky person was a small girl called Veruca Salt who lived with her rich parents in a great city far away." - Charlie and the Chocolate Factory. As we all know to find a golden ticket in one of the Wonka bars was based purely on luck. There really was no method to the madness of the golden ticket adventure. Bo Derek said it best "Whoever said money can't buy happiness simply didn't know where to go shopping."Veruca's parents aimed to please their daughter. They spared no expense for her happiness. So when Veruca proposed to her parents that she wanted the golden ticket, they went right to work in providing for her. Her fathers nut shelling company stopped shelling nuts and started shelling Wonka bars until they found what they were looking for. While at the factory the Oompa-Loompas refer to her Veruca Salt as "the little brute" which greatly depicts her character. Jodat law group "Its my money and I want it now!" She wanted what she wanted, when she wanted it. She is also referred to as "a bad nut" or "bad egg" and tossed down the trash shoot. To quickly sum up her character I would say she was a greedy "brute" who lived in a state of instant gratification.
In today's society we see these characteristics in many wealthy people who live in the world. More so with the children then adults. You don't have to have money however to want what you want. Have you ever seen a toddler throw a tantrum over not getting what he wants? Heck, have you ever had an attitude because something didn't go the way you wanted? Ill be the first to say that I have indeed felt this way before. I will even go as far to say it happened yesterday. Laughing We see this happen all around us. On reality Tv shows we see (of course it is dramatized) adults absolutely flip out over not getting what they want. These constant reminders of how relevant greed is in the world brings me to the word of God. Luke 12:15 "Then he said to them, "Watch out! Be on your guard against all kinds of greed; life does not consist in an abundance of possessions."
The next question I have to answer here is "where are they in the story that God is telling?" Well we could say 1.That these tyoes if people are great example of what not to do. Of how not to act. Or we could say 2. That greed may be there personal sin struggle and that through that they come to know God. Sorry for the novel however, hope you enjoyed the read, even if it made no sense at all. Smile
Very well said. I think greed/selfishness is one of those "respectable" sins, where it is tolerated and made out to be ok. Reminds me a lot of Paul in Philippians talking about how he has learned to be content, because it is Christ who lives through him, and not himself.

p.s. way to get Jodat, those guys frustrate me Very Happy

"Despite the constant negative press, covfefe"
@realdonaldtrump

View user profile

Back to top Go down

My response to Olivia

Post by Redneck_philosopher on Thu Aug 31, 2017 12:13 pm

LivsTanski wrote: I chose Violet Beauregarde who is described as a goal obsessed girl who will stop at nothing to achieve her desired result, which eventually gets her in trouble. In the book, Violet sets out to beat the world record for gum chewing. While at the factory, She begins chewing an experimental piece of gum which Mr. Wonka told her not to eat which resulted in her transformation into a giant blueberry.

I see Violet being the career obsessed woman who wears stilettos and flawless winged eyeliner and stops at nothing to excel in her career. This eventually leads to a lack of friendship, a purposeless existence, and a miserable person. She could play the part of the "Girl to learn from" In Gods story. Women like Violet show girls like me how not to be, and prove the fact that possessions and status can not make you happy. Regardless of how much gum you chew, without God life is void of meaning.  

Good points Olivia! I can see Violet being that kinda of a person in real life! You see people all the time like that who focus on material things when our relationship with God and other people are what matter! So... ditto Very Happy

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by LivsTanski on Thu Aug 31, 2017 1:38 pm

LivsTanski wrote: I chose Violet Beauregarde who is described as a goal obsessed girl who will stop at nothing to achieve her desired result, which eventually gets her in trouble. In the book, Violet sets out to beat the world record for gum chewing. While at the factory, She begins chewing an experimental piece of gum which Mr. Wonka told her not to eat which resulted in her transformation into a giant blueberry.

Good points Olivia! I can see Violet being that kinda of a person in real life! You see people all the time like that who focus on material things when our relationship with God and other people are what matter! So... ditto Very Happy

Thank you Jack!! It was a very short observation based on cliffnotes lololol
LivsTanski

View user profile

Back to top Go down

egrabrick's response to Redneck_philosopher

Post by egrabrick on Thu Aug 31, 2017 2:52 pm

Willie Wonka
Charlie Bucket
Grandpa Joe
Augustus Gloop
Violet Beauregarde
Veruca Salt
Mike Teavee
Oompa-Loompas

That's a very interesting way to look at things!! While I don't think that's what the author intended, it's certainly a very creative interpretation! I love the way you framed it with the disclaimer!! Very Happy

egrabrick

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by nodramallama on Thu Aug 31, 2017 4:41 pm

i choose the oompa loompas, because they're cute... like me. just kidding lololol.  anyway the oompa loompa characters are the tiny little people that do all of willie wonkas dirty work.  the audience loves them and continuously makes jokes about them and they're cute.  i would compare myself to them because i wouldn't consider myself an overall leader like willie wonka.  i am confident in certain aspects of my life and when i am confident i often use my voice and the authority i have more often then i I'm am not confident at all. when I'm not confident i usually stay behind the scenes and do my part and thats it.  just go with the motions not causing a big scene. the oompa loompa characters are a lot like this in each station in the factory there is a leader oompa loompa in the station and all the other oompa loompa do there part. but they're not the overall authority, or the actual leader, wille wonka is.  so although there might be oompa loompas who are in charge of that factory station there still the little handy workers.

this plays a part in Gods play because a lot of people sit by and are arid to stand up for what they believe and only whisper Gods names instead of shouting it out for all the hear and listen. they sit by and let others do that for them and they just play role doing good works for their flesh.

nodramallama

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top