Lesson 2: Tickets, Please: Notes from a Tilt-a-Whirl

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Lesson 2: Tickets, Please: Notes from a Tilt-a-Whirl

Post by Admin on Wed Aug 23, 2017 1:06 pm

"Christianity is the one creation 'myth' that involves nothing...There was an infinite Creator and he spoke and his words became flesh."
What do you think Nate was trying to say with this statement? Do you agree with him? Why or Why not?

Admin
Admin

Posts : 8
Join date : 2017-08-09

View user profile http://challenge3.forumotion.com

Back to top Go down

Re: Lesson 2: Tickets, Please: Notes from a Tilt-a-Whirl

Post by Mrs. Martin on Wed Aug 23, 2017 1:15 pm

According to Dictionary.com the definition of myth is:

noun
1.
a traditional or legendary story, usually concerning some being or hero or event, with or without a determinable basis of fact or a natural explanation, especially one that is concerned with deities or demigods and explains some practice, rite, or phenomenon of nature.
2.
stories or matter of this kind:
realm of myth.
3.
any invented story, idea, or concept:
His account of the event is pure myth.
4.
an imaginary or fictitious thing or person.
5.
an unproved or false collective belief that is used to justify a social institution.

Based on the above definition of myth, I wholeheartedly disagree that Christianity is a myth. Our faith is not mythical, a legend, a fairy tale. It is real, palpable and absolute truth! I think this is one of those statements that we discussed in class that can be a dangerous statement to make as a believer in Christ, as it allows us to delve into things that might allow a baby Christian to stumble...

Mrs. Martin

Posts : 3
Join date : 2017-08-15

View user profile

Back to top Go down

@realdonaldtrump's reply

Post by @realdonaldtrump on Wed Aug 23, 2017 1:43 pm

Admin wrote:"Christianity is the one creation 'myth' that involves nothing...There was an infinite Creator and he spoke and his words became flesh."  
What do you think Nate was trying to say with this statement? Do you agree with him? Why or Why not?
1) Mr. Nate the Great here seems to be making the same (and only) point he has for this DVD series. Creation and the Creation story are amazing!

2) I disagree with this statement in a few different ways.
a) Christianity is not the only religion/faith that accounts for Creation with God creating it all from nothing. Judaism, Islam, Catholocism, and Hinduism, just to name a few, all have a "God" creating the world at the beginning of time. So this is blatantly untrue (FALSE as a certain President might say), and honestly shows a bit of disregard for basic research Very Happy

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Islamic_mythology#Islamic_creation_narrative
http://www.bbc.co.uk/schools/gcsebitesize/rs/environment/hinduismbeliefsrev1.shtml

b) I also take issue with how he flippantly uses the portion "his words became flesh." Biblically, this is found in John 1:14, which says "And the Word became flesh and dwelt among us." Any Bible scholar will tell you this is referring to Jesus as the "Logos", a Greek word containing pretty significant meaning in the context of knowledge, creation, etc. Notice the verse doesn't say God's words became flesh but that THE Word became flesh, and actually dwelt among us. In the Bible, flesh is used to refer to humans (and specifically in this case the Incarnation of Christ), not mountains, trees, oceans, etc.


_________________
-45th President of the United States

"Despite the constant negative press, covfefe"
avatar
@realdonaldtrump

Posts : 14
Join date : 2017-08-15
Age : 71
Location : 1600 Pennsylvania Avenue

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Query for Mom

Post by @realdonaldtrump on Wed Aug 23, 2017 1:46 pm

Mrs. Martin wrote:According to Dictionary.com the definition of myth is:

noun
1.
a traditional or legendary story, usually concerning some being or hero or event, with or without a determinable basis of fact or a natural explanation, especially one that is concerned with deities or demigods and explains some practice, rite, or phenomenon of nature.
2.
stories or matter of this kind:
realm of myth.
3.
any invented story, idea, or concept:
His account of the event is pure myth.
4.
an imaginary or fictitious thing or person.
5.
an unproved or false collective belief that is used to justify a social institution.

Based on the above definition of myth, I wholeheartedly disagree that Christianity is a myth.  Our faith is not mythical, a legend, a fairy tale.  It is real, palpable and absolute truth!  I think this is one of those statements that we discussed in class that can be a dangerous statement to make as a believer in Christ, as it allows us to delve into things that might allow a baby Christian to stumble...
Very interesting track to take on this one, thanks for taking the time to research a good definition to start!

I also disagree with this statement, but it seems for a different reason. So, just have one question for you:

Why is the word 'myth' in air quotes?

If you're not sure why I'm asking that, then these are worth a read Wink

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Myth
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Religion_and_mythology

p.s. I know, I know, it's Wikipedia. They just do a good job summarizing. If you really want, I can find somewhere else to say the same thing Very Happy

_________________
-45th President of the United States

"Despite the constant negative press, covfefe"
avatar
@realdonaldtrump

Posts : 14
Join date : 2017-08-15
Age : 71
Location : 1600 Pennsylvania Avenue

View user profile

Back to top Go down

egrabrick's response

Post by egrabrick on Wed Aug 23, 2017 2:35 pm

Admin wrote:"Christianity is the one creation 'myth' that involves nothing...There was an infinite Creator and he spoke and his words became flesh."  
What do you think Nate was trying to say with this statement? Do you agree with him? Why or Why not?

Personally, I really have no clue what he was trying to say. Very Happy As far as I'm aware, most, if not all creation stories start with something. Even the biblical creation story involves something (God)! Many other stories begin the same way. Even the secular attempt to explain where we came from can't explain how it all started! Stuff just doesn't come from nothing! I would have to disagree with Nate. I believe that everything did not come from nothing, but rather was created by God.

BREAKING NEWS: Biblical creation did not come from nothing, it came from God!  Very Happy

egrabrick

Posts : 15
Join date : 2017-08-15
Age : 16

View user profile

Back to top Go down

MA RAPLAAYYY!!

Post by Maddie Uccello on Wed Aug 23, 2017 3:30 pm

Admin wrote:"Christianity is the one creation 'myth' that involves nothing...There was an infinite Creator and he spoke and his words became flesh."  
What do you think Nate was trying to say with this statement? Do you agree with him? Why or Why not?

Ok, so I rewatched the tilt a whirl video and I believe that Nate is being facetious when he uses the word 'Myth' and so, I replaced the word 'myth' with philosophy. So, what I believe Nate truly means by his statement is that Christianity is the only creation philosophy that involves nothing. Lets reword this into a question shall we: "Is Christianity the only creation philosophy that involves nothing?" I would say no to this question considering, people who have the belief in an Atheistic materialism, also believe that something came out of nothing. For goodness sake I could make up my own belief where some super, awesome, ninja, turtle created a world out of nothing using some unicorn rainbow poop, a fairy wand, and the words Bibbidi-Bobbidi-Boo! Christian Creationism is not the only philosophy where something was created out of nothing, therefore I disagreeeeeeeeeee!!! cheers cheers afro What a Face Very Happy

Maddie Uccello

Posts : 4
Join date : 2017-08-17

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Lesson 2: Tickets, Please: Notes from a Tilt-a-Whirl

Post by LivsTanski on Wed Aug 23, 2017 10:44 pm

Admin wrote:"Christianity is the one creation 'myth' that involves nothing...There was an infinite Creator and he spoke and his words became flesh."  
What do you think Nate was trying to say with this statement? Do you agree with him? Why or Why not?

I honestly have been pondering this concept all week and am stumped. Creation is explainable through God, but God is unexplainable, which in the sight of our human minds takes away credibility from creation. I obviously am failing to explain God in my own thought process because "His ways are higher than our ways". I have reached the conclusion that we are not to understand the existence of God but are to have faith in his existence and believe his affection exists, which gives our pathetic lives meaning. So, I would have to say I disagree with the above statement. Creation does not involve "nothing"it involves God. Without God there is no creation.
avatar
LivsTanski

Posts : 17
Join date : 2017-08-15

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Lesson 2: Tickets, Please: Notes from a Tilt-a-Whirl

Post by LivsTanski on Wed Aug 23, 2017 10:47 pm

egrabrick wrote:
Admin wrote:"Christianity is the one creation 'myth' that involves nothing...There was an infinite Creator and he spoke and his words became flesh."  
What do you think Nate was trying to say with this statement? Do you agree with him? Why or Why not?

Personally, I really have no clue what he was trying to say. Very Happy As far as I'm aware, most, if not all creation stories start with something. Even the biblical creation story involves something (God)! Many other stories begin the same way. Even the secular attempt to explain where we came from can't explain how it all started! Stuff just doesn't come from nothing! I would have to disagree with Nate. I believe that everything did not come from nothing, but rather was created by God.

BREAKING NEWS: Biblical creation did not come from nothing, it came from God!  Very Happy

Amen Elijah!!!! I was super confused (Still kinda am) over what statement this guy was trying to make.... I find it interesting to see how we came up with similar answers!!
avatar
LivsTanski

Posts : 17
Join date : 2017-08-15

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Lesson 2: Tickets, Please: Notes from a Tilt-a-Whirl

Post by LivsTanski on Thu Aug 24, 2017 7:31 am

Mrs. Martin wrote:According to Dictionary.com the definition of myth is:

noun
1.
a traditional or legendary story, usually concerning some being or hero or event, with or without a determinable basis of fact or a natural explanation, especially one that is concerned with deities or demigods and explains some practice, rite, or phenomenon of nature.
2.
stories or matter of this kind:
realm of myth.
3.
any invented story, idea, or concept:
His account of the event is pure myth.
4.
an imaginary or fictitious thing or person.
5.
an unproved or false collective belief that is used to justify a social institution.

Based on the above definition of myth, I wholeheartedly disagree that Christianity is a myth.  Our faith is not mythical, a legend, a fairy tale.  It is real, palpable and absolute truth!  I think this is one of those statements that we discussed in class that can be a dangerous statement to make as a believer in Christ, as it allows us to delve into things that might allow a baby Christian to stumble...

Interesting thought process Mrs Martin!! But If i were to read that an a non believer, I would accuse you of using no evidence and blanket statements such as "It is real, palpable and absolute truth". That does not offer me any more reason to believe than in a fairytale unless you have evidence. Since you clearly defined a myth and told us what Christianity isn't, what is it? and what evidence do you have to support it?
avatar
LivsTanski

Posts : 17
Join date : 2017-08-15

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Lesson 2: Tickets, Please: Notes from a Tilt-a-Whirl

Post by Evan_T on Thu Aug 24, 2017 10:31 am

Admin wrote:"Christianity is the one creation 'myth' that involves nothing...There was an infinite Creator and he spoke and his words became flesh."  
What do you think Nate was trying to say with this statement? Do you agree with him? Why or Why not?

What I think Nate was attempting to say in this statement (he failed) is that the power of the creation is astounding. Do I agree with that? Yes. Do I agree with what he said? Absolutely not. First, Christianity is not the only doctrine that teaches creation out of nothing. Jehovah's Witnesses, Mormons, and he Ancient Greek pantheon all believe in something from nothing (in the way Nate meant it). Second, Creation was not something from nothing. Nate even goes on to say, "There was an infinite Creator.." right after "Christianity is the one creation 'myth' that involves nothing". An infinite Creator is something, so something came out of something, not something came out of nothing.

Evan_T

Posts : 19
Join date : 2017-08-16

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Lesson 2: Tickets, Please: Notes from a Tilt-a-Whirl

Post by Evan_T on Thu Aug 24, 2017 10:33 am

Mrs. Martin wrote:According to Dictionary.com the definition of myth is:

noun
1.
a traditional or legendary story, usually concerning some being or hero or event, with or without a determinable basis of fact or a natural explanation, especially one that is concerned with deities or demigods and explains some practice, rite, or phenomenon of nature.
2.
stories or matter of this kind:
realm of myth.
3.
any invented story, idea, or concept:
His account of the event is pure myth.
4.
an imaginary or fictitious thing or person.
5.
an unproved or false collective belief that is used to justify a social institution.

Based on the above definition of myth, I wholeheartedly disagree that Christianity is a myth.  Our faith is not mythical, a legend, a fairy tale.  It is real, palpable and absolute truth!  I think this is one of those statements that we discussed in class that can be a dangerous statement to make as a believer in Christ, as it allows us to delve into things that might allow a baby Christian to stumble...

What I think Nate was trying to say here, based on the quotes around 'myth', is that other people view Christianity as a myth, not as something he sees as a myth.

Evan_T

Posts : 19
Join date : 2017-08-16

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Lesson 2: Tickets, Please: Notes from a Tilt-a-Whirl

Post by Evan_T on Thu Aug 24, 2017 10:34 am

LivsTanski wrote:
Mrs. Martin wrote:According to Dictionary.com the definition of myth is:

noun
1.
a traditional or legendary story, usually concerning some being or hero or event, with or without a determinable basis of fact or a natural explanation, especially one that is concerned with deities or demigods and explains some practice, rite, or phenomenon of nature.
2.
stories or matter of this kind:
realm of myth.
3.
any invented story, idea, or concept:
His account of the event is pure myth.
4.
an imaginary or fictitious thing or person.
5.
an unproved or false collective belief that is used to justify a social institution.

Based on the above definition of myth, I wholeheartedly disagree that Christianity is a myth.  Our faith is not mythical, a legend, a fairy tale.  It is real, palpable and absolute truth!  I think this is one of those statements that we discussed in class that can be a dangerous statement to make as a believer in Christ, as it allows us to delve into things that might allow a baby Christian to stumble...

Interesting thought process Mrs Martin!! But If i were to read that an a non believer, I would accuse you of using no evidence and blanket statements such as "It is real, palpable and absolute truth". That does not offer me any more reason to believe than in a fairytale unless you have evidence. Since you clearly defined a myth and told us what Christianity isn't, what is it? and what evidence do you have to support it?  

Good thoughts Olivia, but I'm pretty sure Mrs. Martin is just expressing her opinion here (not to say that it isn't true), which is something you can not debate.

Evan_T

Posts : 19
Join date : 2017-08-16

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Lesson 2: Tickets, Please: Notes from a Tilt-a-Whirl

Post by Evan_T on Thu Aug 24, 2017 10:42 am

LivsTanski wrote:
Admin wrote:"Christianity is the one creation 'myth' that involves nothing...There was an infinite Creator and he spoke and his words became flesh."  
What do you think Nate was trying to say with this statement? Do you agree with him? Why or Why not?

I honestly have been pondering this concept all week and am stumped. Creation is explainable through God, but God is unexplainable, which in the sight of our human minds takes away credibility from creation. I obviously am failing to explain God in my own thought process because "His ways are higher than our ways". I have reached the conclusion that we are not to understand the existence of God but are to have faith in his existence and believe his affection exists, which gives our pathetic lives meaning. So, I would have to say I disagree with the above statement. Creation does not involve "nothing"it involves God. Without God there is no creation.

Although God is very complex, he is not entirely explainable (Which is why he gave us the Bible). You're right in saying that we will never be able to fully understand God, but to say that his existence is not understandable is, as Augustine would point out, not really faith at all.

Evan_T

Posts : 19
Join date : 2017-08-16

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Lesson 2: Tickets, Please: Notes from a Tilt-a-Whirl

Post by Maddie Uccello on Thu Aug 24, 2017 11:16 am

LivsTanski wrote:
Admin wrote:"Christianity is the one creation 'myth' that involves nothing...There was an infinite Creator and he spoke and his words became flesh."  
What do you think Nate was trying to say with this statement? Do you agree with him? Why or Why not?

I honestly have been pondering this concept all week and am stumped. Creation is explainable through God, but God is unexplainable, which in the sight of our human minds takes away credibility from creation. I obviously am failing to explain God in my own thought process because "His ways are higher than our ways". I have reached the conclusion that we are not to understand the existence of God but are to have faith in his existence and believe his affection exists, which gives our pathetic lives meaning. So, I would have to say I disagree with the above statement. Creation does not involve "nothing"it involves God. Without God there is no creation.

Hi Olivia! I would like to transfer your statement into a form of a question: "Is God explainable?" The reason I ask is because it seems that you've confused the objectivity of God with mans finite ability to comprehend Him. Just because God is infinite does not mean we cannot comprehend who He is. We can know and understand many things about God in everything that we do, and then in the end we will look back to see at what we knew about God and see that it was but a piece of infinity, but nonetheless a piece, and a good one at that. "If God is unexplainable, how can you explain that He is unexplainable?" It sounds like here you were confusing that we cannot know for sure if God is truly real, and that its a flip of the coin whether you want to have faith in Him or not.

Maddie Uccello

Posts : 4
Join date : 2017-08-17

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Its Ye Boi

Post by j.c.fergie on Thu Aug 24, 2017 4:44 pm

Admin wrote:"Christianity is the one creation 'myth' that involves nothing...There was an infinite Creator and he spoke and his words became flesh."  
What do you think Nate was trying to say with this statement? Do you agree with him? Why or Why not?

I think what he was tryin to say is that creation is the only "beginning of the world theory" that that can actually make sense, there are no loopholes and it is all explained in one book.
(although i would not call it a theory or a myth) Rolling Eyes
avatar
j.c.fergie

Posts : 2
Join date : 2017-08-24

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Lesson 2: Tickets, Please: Notes from a Tilt-a-Whirl

Post by LivsTanski on Thu Aug 24, 2017 7:28 pm

Evan_T wrote:
LivsTanski wrote:
Admin wrote:"Christianity is the one creation 'myth' that involves nothing...There was an infinite Creator and he spoke and his words became flesh."  
What do you think Nate was trying to say with this statement? Do you agree with him? Why or Why not?

I honestly have been pondering this concept all week and am stumped. Creation is explainable through God, but God is unexplainable, which in the sight of our human minds takes away credibility from creation. I obviously am failing to explain God in my own thought process because "His ways are higher than our ways". I have reached the conclusion that we are not to understand the existence of God but are to have faith in his existence and believe his affection exists, which gives our pathetic lives meaning. So, I would have to say I disagree with the above statement. Creation does not involve "nothing"it involves God. Without God there is no creation.

Although God is very complex, he is not entirely explainable (Which is why he gave us the Bible). You're right in saying that we will never be able to fully understand God, but to say that his existence is not understandable is, as Augustine would point out, not really faith at all.

Im not entirely sure I agree with your statement Evan. Am I wrong to say that I can have faith in something existence but not be able to understand it? I can have faith that atoms exist, but am incapable of understanding their nature. I am not saying that the human race is incapable of understanding the atom, but I am. I think I have muddled my point by saying we are incapable of understanding him, I meant we are incapable of explaining his existence. We are told he was always there, he was not created. I do not think our finite minds can explain this concept in any further detail. I have faith in His existence, but can not explain where he came from is what I am trying to say!!
avatar
LivsTanski

Posts : 17
Join date : 2017-08-15

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Lesson 2: Tickets, Please: Notes from a Tilt-a-Whirl

Post by LivsTanski on Thu Aug 24, 2017 7:33 pm

Maddie Uccello wrote:
LivsTanski wrote:
Admin wrote:"Christianity is the one creation 'myth' that involves nothing...There was an infinite Creator and he spoke and his words became flesh."  
What do you think Nate was trying to say with this statement? Do you agree with him? Why or Why not?

I honestly have been pondering this concept all week and am stumped. Creation is explainable through God, but God is unexplainable, which in the sight of our human minds takes away credibility from creation. I obviously am failing to explain God in my own thought process because "His ways are higher than our ways". I have reached the conclusion that we are not to understand the existence of God but are to have faith in his existence and believe his affection exists, which gives our pathetic lives meaning. So, I would have to say I disagree with the above statement. Creation does not involve "nothing"it involves God. Without God there is no creation.

Hi Olivia! I would like to transfer your statement into a form of a question: "Is God explainable?" The reason I ask is because it seems that you've confused the objectivity of God with mans finite ability to comprehend Him. Just because God is infinite does not mean we cannot comprehend who He is. We can know and understand many things about God in everything that we do, and then in the end we will look back to see at what we knew about God and see that it was but a piece of infinity, but nonetheless a piece, and a good one at that. "If God is unexplainable, how can you explain that He is unexplainable?" It sounds like here you were confusing that we cannot know for sure if God is truly real, and that its a flip of the coin whether you want to have faith in Him or not.

Hey Maddie!
The point I was trying to make is that we can not explain his existence. I would say no, we can not explain his existence, we can not even begin to explain his existence. I should not have made the statement "God is unexplainable" because he obviously knows the whole story, but we do not nor shall we any time soon. I argue that experience and understanding are two different things. We can experience his presence and his existence but we can not fully comprehend his existence and where he comes from. Does that make sense Smile
avatar
LivsTanski

Posts : 17
Join date : 2017-08-15

View user profile

Back to top Go down

egrabrick's response to j.c.fergie

Post by egrabrick on Thu Aug 24, 2017 7:43 pm

j.c.fergie wrote:
Admin wrote:"Christianity is the one creation 'myth' that involves nothing...There was an infinite Creator and he spoke and his words became flesh."  
What do you think Nate was trying to say with this statement? Do you agree with him? Why or Why not?

I think what he was tryin to say is that creation is the only "beginning of the world theory" that that can actually make sense, there are no loopholes and it is all explained in one book.
(although i would not call it a theory or a myth) Rolling Eyes

Hey Josh, great job understanding and explaining a very confusing statement!! Just out of curiosity, though, do you agree or disagree with the quote? It'd be great to see you expand upon your thoughts a little more!

egrabrick

Posts : 15
Join date : 2017-08-15
Age : 16

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Lesson 2: Tickets, Please: Notes from a Tilt-a-Whirl

Post by j.c.fergie on Thu Aug 24, 2017 8:52 pm

egrabrick wrote:
j.c.fergie wrote:
Admin wrote:"Christianity is the one creation 'myth' that involves nothing...There was an infinite Creator and he spoke and his words became flesh."  
What do you think Nate was trying to say with this statement? Do you agree with him? Why or Why not?

I think what he was tryin to say is that creation is the only "beginning of the world theory" that that can actually make sense, there are no loopholes and it is all explained in one book.
(although i would not call it a theory or a myth) Rolling Eyes

Hey Josh, great job understanding and explaining a very confusing statement!! Just out of curiosity, though, do you agree or disagree with the quote? It'd be great to see you expand upon your thoughts a little more!

Thank you! if that is what he is trying to say then I agree that there is "nothing" in the way that evolution has flaws and evolutionists are constantly trying to prove their theory and cover up flaws while we already have it figured out and theres nothing to cover up. I do not agree that Christianity is a myth though.
avatar
j.c.fergie

Posts : 2
Join date : 2017-08-24

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Lesson 2: Tickets, Please: Notes from a Tilt-a-Whirl

Post by Sponsored content


Sponsored content


Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top

- Similar topics

 
Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum